Friday, April 10, 2009

My Next Long Distance Endurance Rally



It all started when I watched Long Way Round and Long Way Down. I spent hours riveted to the journey that Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman made half way around the world. Since my motorcycle season hadn't started yet, it made me itch even more for a really good ride.





I had taken part in the ALDERS Rally last year, a 1600 Km in 24 hour Endurance Ride. I did quite well, placing 6th out of 12 riders. Mind you, I placed last...but the others didn't finish so I'll take what I can get. The Rally was cancelled this year and I was very disappointed. I began searching for another Long Distance event in Canada, and couldn't find one. That's when I stumbled on the Minuteman 1000. (http://minuteman1000.com/).





The event offers two choices, an Iron Butt Association Saddlesore 1000 and a 1000 mile Open Event. (http://www.ironbutt.com/). The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do it. And then one evening, Meagan didn't seem too out of sorts when i mentioned it and even helped me plan out my route. I registered the next day.





So, here I am registered for this event and I really didn't want to travel all that way alone. I talked to Reid Sanford, a fellow ALDERS competitor and friend from the Motorcycle Community, but never got a response...so I rang up my friend Larry Welch who I did the ALDERS with last year.





Larry's in.





This Blog will now serve as my "Road to Minuteman" and I'll try to post as much as I can until the day of competition.





So the countdown is now on...stay tuned for photos, prep shots and if I can do it...some video of the journey...but to get things started...check out the proposed route below.







Take 'er easy...





C.






View Larger Map

No comments: