Thursday, April 23, 2009

New Suspension


Those that know me well know that I am notoriously cheap. Kinda. I am an impulse buyer and more often than not, its a trait that gets me into trouble. So, this spring when I started getting the Voyager XII ready for the season, I decided to change the rear shock oil to improve the handling. Big job. Learned a lot. I mean a lot.

So I go for a couple of scoots and when I return and lean against the trunk of the bike..the shocks bottom out. And in the words of a former co-worker, "Well, THAT'S not good!"

I had already purchased a set of Progressive Front Springs as a treat to myself and now I had to start shopping for a new set of rear shocks. Again, becuase I'm notoriously cheap, I shopped around and found a set of 13" aftermarket shocks that may have done the job, but at the same time may have caused me more trouble than they were worth. I went ahead and ordered a set of Progressive 412 Shocks with Heavy Duty Springs and a couple of days later, I was ready to install them.

Since I was EXPERIENCED in doing the shocks, they went in no problem, but because I'm notoriously cheap, I decided I'd install the Front Springs all on my own.

Well, after one outburst at my signifigant other and a late night in the shop, and another whole evening, she's all back together. The test ride is done and she gets her first long trip of the season tomorrow when I ride to work.

So, here we are, one week closer to the Minuteman 1000 Rally, a new suspension setup and the NEED to twist that throttle. I hope I'm going to be ready.

There was an important lesson that I learned with this project, and that was:

If Meagan has an idea, I should probably listen because usually its a pretty good idea and its going to make my life easier. Actually, that lesson was re-learned and I'll be apologizing to her for the next 20 years for being an ass. Then again, I am a man and cannot change. Also, its easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission.

Keepin' the shiny side up....

No comments: