Saturday, June 27, 2009

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Most folks are probably familiar with the Title of this post. Its a book which has some sort of cult following...but I've never read it. I'd like to, but there just doesn't be the time.



I'd like to comment on the fact that Motorcycle Maintenance takes up a good portion of my evenings and weekends.



I have to admit, I like Vintage Rides. There's something in my psyche that likes to show folks that just because something is older...it doesn't mean it needs to be discounted outright.



My first bike was a 1978 Yamaha XS 750E. When I had it, it was 28 Years old. It ran great, needed a bit of TLC from time to time, but it was a classic and gave me hours of conversation talking to folks about old bikes. When I sold it becuase I'd bought my '07 Vulcan, I was sorry to see it go and realized I'd sold it for far too little money. Oh Well.



Fast forward a couple of years. I bought Barney. 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII. Not quite to the Vintage Class, but still an oldie but a goodie. Kind of. So far, I've rebuilt Barney's Water Pump, replaced the Cruise Module, upgraded the Suspension and replaced the Driveshaft.

However, it seems, that Barney absolutely hates me. Everytime I do something, whether it be Preventative or necessary, he seems to throw me a chunk of shit to go along with it. Today, I decided to change his oil. Now, this is not a difficult task. I pulled the Drain Plugs, popped in a new, Hi-Flow filter, replaced all the O-Rings and went to button him back up. Guess What. He threw a wrench at me.

There are bad threads on the second oil drain plug and now, I can torque it down because it won't tighten. I tried to re-cut the threads, but it appears the plug itself is screwed. Oh well, if its just a new plug thats required, it no big deal. For Me.

For Barney, it means the For Sale sign. That's right. The post is on Kijiji. The first person to offer me 4 grand, rides away on the big purple monster.

I'll be sorry to see him go, but I just can't find the Zen in wrenching my weekends away fighting with that big, purple Bastard.

Anyone got $4,000?

C.

No comments: